Fire Safety Bureau
To register your business or apply for a fire safety permit please contact our Fire Safety Inspector at 973-835-5700, Ext. 194 or see forms section above.
Selling or Renting your Residential Structure?
If you are selling or renting your house, you will need a smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm compliance certificate (See requirements below and forms section above for Smoke Detector Compliance Form). Please contact the Fire Safety Inspector at
973- 835-5700 Ext. 194 in order to request an inspection.
HOUSE NUMBERS, SMOKE DETECTORS, CARBON MONOXIDE
ALARMS, FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
- PEQUANNOCK TOWNSHIP ORDINANCE 88-23: Requires that the house number be installed with a minimum of three (3) inch high numerals, placed adjacent to the left or right side of the front door, five (5) feet above the door saddle. House numbers must be visible from the street and must have contrasting colors.
- N.J.A.C. 5:70-4.19: Requires that smoke detectors be installed as follows:
1) On each level of the dwelling.
2) Outside of each separate sleeping area within 10 feet of each bedroom.
- N.J.A.C. 5:70-4.19: Requires carbon monoxide alarms in all homes having a fuel burning appliance or an attached garage as follows:
1) Single station carbon monoxide alarms shall be installed in the immediate vicinity of all sleeping areas. They may be battery operated, hard wired, or of the plug in type, and must be UL listed.
N.J.A.C. 5:70-603.6 All chimneys, smokestacks or similar devices for conveying smoke or hot gases to the outer air shall be properly sealed andmaintained.
N.J.S.A. 52:27D-198.1: Requires fire extinguishers in all homes as follows:
1) The extinguisher must be no larger than 10 lb rated with a minimum of 2A 10BC, must be of an A:B:C: type rated for residential use, mounted within 10 feet of the kitchen and be accompanied by the owners manual.
- N.J.A.C. 5:70-2.9: Fee for Certificate of smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm compliance:
1) Request for Certification received more than 10 business days prior to the change of occupant: $45.00
2) Request for Certification received 4 to 10 business days prior to the change of occupant: $90.00
3) Request for Certification received fewer than 4 business days prior to the change of occupant: $165.00
4) If any of the above mandates fail, it will result in an additional $40.00 fee for each additional reinspection
NOTE: A Certificate will not be issued until all the minimum requirements have been met after an inspection is made, and there are no open permits with the Construction Department.
SMOKE DETECTORS & CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS SAVE LIVES
KIDDE FIRE ALARM RECALL