Events Of The Past
Events Of The Past Which Helped Create Our Township As It Is Today
1600s to 1700s
- 1696: Arent Schuyler and others purchased the Pompton Patent from the Lenape Indians and the Duke of York.
- 1710: West bank of Pequannock River Settled by Le Mattre, Comley and Van Ness families.
- 1740: March 25, Pequannock, the largest morris county township, was created by the first court to sit in Morristown.
- 1776 to 1783: Constant movement of American Continental Army along Kings Highway.
- 1781: Rochambeau's French Army camped in Pompton Plains going to and from the Battle of Yorktown.
- 1789: Jackson Avenue authorized by State Legislation.
- 1804: Jefferson Township separated from Pequannock Township.
- 1807:Newark-Pompton Turnpike opened as a toll road.
- 1811: Legislation in Trenton formed "Bog and Vly Company" to drain the land and create East Big Ditch and West Ditch.
- 1830: Pequannock Township had 4,451 people (including slaves), 8 stores, 9 sawmills, 5 gristmills, 37 tanning vats, 2 distilleries, 14 forges, 690 horses and mules, 2,265 cattle, Township paid $574 State Tax, $1,285 County Tax.
- 1831: Randolph separated from Pequannock Township and became Dover in 1844.
- 1844:Rockaway separated from Pequannock Township.
- 1867: Boonton Township, Boonton and Montville became separate Boroughs.
- 1874: Boulevard created.
- 1895: Wharton separated from Pequannock Township.
- 1901: Butler separated from Pequannock Township.
- 1915: Pompton Plains Fire Association (Engine Company number 1) organized at Mandeville Inn. George Atwood first Captain.
- 1922: Turnpike paved with concrete. (Was New Jersey Route 23). Riverdale, Kinnelon, Lincoln Park separated from Pequannock Township.
- 1923: Pequannock Township Engine Company Number 2 organized.
- 1930: First Township Offices opened consisting of Municipal Clerk and Police Office.
- 1951: First Master Plan adopted for Township.
- 1953: P.V. Park opened - first public recreation area.
- 1954: Chilton Memorial Hospital opened on Turnpike.
- 1956: New Municipal Building dedicated; two wings added later.
- 1957: January 1st - Council/Manager form of government took effect.
- 1980: Pequannock Township had 13,776 people, Township paid $1,152,526.13 County Tax, Total School Budget $4,902,07778, and $1,367,664.34 Total Town Budget.